With other things taking up space in your regular schedule, you would often result in minimal free time available to explore your love for cooking. But the present self-quarantine seems to be the best time to try on some easy healthy recipes at home that are both nutritious and tasty.
As self-quarantine sets in, we’re spending more time in the kitchen than ever before. This notion can either be exciting, daunting, or both for you. As you recalibrate for this new notion of everyday, begin by taking comfort in the fact that cooking is an act of self-care, and even a small way to reclaim a sense of control in the time of Covid-19. In addition, cooking is one of the most powerful tools we have to improve our health and nourish our bodies.
When prioritizing health and self-care, it is essential to look beyond instant or processed foods as much as possible. Making delicious and healthy meals can be easy and simple. It’s just a matter of choosing the right ingredients and knowing how best to prepare them. Shopping fresh at local markets and supermarkets is the ideal choice. Always choose your food wisely, do not store snacks and desserts items at home where it is constantly accessible. Here is a grocery list of healthy ingredients that you can bring along the next time you do your groceries.
For the pantry, you may store foods such as whole grains (such as brown rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta, rolled oats), beans, lentils and nuts, canned tomatoes, canned fish (such as tuna or sardine), broth (such as chicken or vegetable), condiments (herbs and spices) and healthy oils (olive oil or sunflower oil).
For the refrigerator you may stock up on eggs, low fat milk, cheese and yogurt; longer-lasting vegetables and fruits such as citrus, apples, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, carrots, celery, beets, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes and cucumbers.
While for the freezer, store fresh meat, fish, poultry and avoid processed foods like sausages and nuggets.
Now that you have a list of ingredients, the next step is cooking them! Many don’t think about how their cooking method affects the nutritional make-up of their meals. High heat can break down and destroy some vitamins and minerals in vegetables.
You may wonder what is in deep fried foods that are so bad for us? Well, heating oil to a high heat can generate potentially carcinogenic compounds, and then known carcinogens that potentially increases the risk of cancer. You can substitute deep frying by grilling. In terms of getting maximum nutrition without sacrificing flavor, grilling is a great option. It requires minimal added fats and imparts a smoky flavor while keeping meats and veggies juicy and tender.
While some nutrients in food are destroyed by heat, certain foods actually benefit from cooking. With carrots, spinach, and tomatoes, for example, heat facilitates the release of antioxidants by breaking down cell walls, providing an easier passage of the healthy components from food to body. Stir-frying bite-size vegetables and meats with minimal olive oil and moderate heat quickly is a delicious way to retain nutrients.
Boiling is a great cooking method too! However, if you’re boiling in high temperatures and the large volume of water can dissolve and wash away water-soluble vitamins. Therefore, cooking anything from fresh veggies to fish fillets through steaming would be ideal as it allows them to stew in their own juices and retain all their natural goodness.
Why do we need supplements?
At SOLLIFE, we have developed a few nutritious recipes to improve your health in various ways. To boost nutrient intake, you can have these nutritious recipes along with SOLLIFE’s products! However, you may wonder, if I already get plenty of nutrients in my diet, why do I still need supplements? Well, first of all, most people actually don’t get the recommended amount of important nutrients from food alone. Most of us may fail to meet dietary recommendations.
- To bridge that nutritional gap
Supplementation is intended to bridge the nutritional gap, so that we maintain the proper balance of nutrients from food and supplementation. This will enhance the nutrient density of your diet and make sure you are obtaining the right amount of nutrients tailored to your dietary needs.
- Nutrient Absorption Declines With Age
Aging is linked to changes that can make you prone to deficiencies in many important nutrients. As you age, malabsorption becomes a problem because your body doesn’t have the same capability to break down and absorb nutrients as it used to. Ageing also leads to lack of appetite and poor diet due to loss of taste and smell and oral problems.
- Exercise Increases Nutrient Needs
Are you an athlete or do you exercise frequently? Athletes require a lot of energy and nutrients to stay in shape. As you exercise, your body uses up the energy and nutrients that have been stored in your body. It is vital to replenish these essential nutrients, fuel your energy levels, and promote recovery after an intense workout. That’s why athlete’s diets include tons of carbs and protein. Taking protein powder is a quick and easy way to get the required calories instead of having to eat a big bowl of pasta and chicken.
- Unhealthy lifestyle
Stress, unhealthy eating habits, smoking or excessive alcohol intake create free radicals that are harmful to our bodies. Supplements like antioxidants can help fight those free radicals. A balance between free radicals and antioxidants is necessary for proper physiological function. If free radicals overwhelm the body’s ability to regulate them, a condition known as oxidative stress ensues. Free radicals thus adversely alter lipids, proteins, and DNA and trigger a number of human diseases. Hence application of an external source of antioxidants can assist in coping this oxidative stress to prevent cellular damages and chronic diseases.
We have prepared a list of impressive SOLLIFE products to complement with your meals and here are the recipes.
Testosterones are important for more energy, bigger muscles, less body fat, and better mood. Unfortunately, your testosterone levels gradually decrease at the age of 30. Fred not, here’s what you can prepare for breakfast to naturally boost testosterone levels through diet.
Spinach, kale, avocado and tuna salad
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup of kale
- 1 small avocado
- ½ small tomato (diced)
- 3 tablespoon of tuna
- 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 packet of ActivMen
- Clean and chop all ingredients
- Prepare salad dressing by mixing balsamic vinegar and ActivMen
- Toss the chopped vegetables and salad dressing
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds
- Spinach and other leafy green vegetables contain minerals like magnesium and zinc, which have been shown to aid in testosterone production.
- Avocados and olives are a great source of the good fats we need for healthy testosterone production.
- Tomatoes contain a powerful antioxidant called lycopene which helps prevent prostate cancer that is common among men.
- Tuna contains a great amount of vitamin D, which is great for testosterone production.
- Pumpkin seeds are useful for promoting men’s fertility.
- ActivMen contains the combination of the best of ginseng extracts, tongkat ali and smilax myosotiflora (ubi jaga) to improve your stamina, prostate health, testosterone level, blood circulation & your general health & wellbeing.
All women want balanced hormones, because it usually means that our bodies are functioning optimally, our skin is clear, our metabolisms are working properly, we’re in a better mood, and so on. The question is, then, how do we effectively regulate our hormones? So I wanted to share some natural ways you can effectively regulate your hormones through your diet.
Stir-fry tofu and edamame salad
- 1 serving wholewheat soba noodles
- 1 cup of sliced tofu
- 1 cup of peeled edamame
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 small shallot
1 bottle of ActivWomen with lime juice (compliment as beverage)
- Boil the wholewheat soba noodles.
- Prepare the sauce by adding the vegetable oil, soy sauce, sesame seeds and diced shallot.
- Stir-fry all the ingredients together.
- Garnish with roasted sesame seeds.
- Soybeans, tofu and edamame are rich in isoflavones, a type of phytoestrogen. Soy isoflavones may affect blood estrogen levels in your body
- Sesame seeds are a potent source of phytoestrogens. Regularly eating sesame seeds has been shown to increase estrogen activity in postmenopausal women.
- ActivWomen is formulated with functional traditional plants such as kacip fatima, lobata, manjakani, akar serapat, seduduk, pegaga and modern functional ingredients such as lingonberry, salmon egg peptide and soy isoflavone to boost female hormonal health to promote health, beauty, and youthfulness.
Morning smoothies are loaded with nutrients and fiber that will help keep you feeling full and satisfied, without a lethargic or sluggish feeling that can come from eating something less nutritious. When you start my day with a nutritious smoothie, you tend to eat and feel better for the rest of the day too. Will smoothies help you to lose weight? Since smoothies are loaded with nutrient-dense, low-calorie ingredients, it is a good choice if you’re trying to lose weight. The fiber in all of these ingredients will help keep you full, and if you use it as a meal replacement you may end up eating fewer calories than you normally would, which may also contribute to weight loss.
Refreshing green juice
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 green apple
- 1 small avocado
- ¼ cup mint leaf
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup ice
- 1 sachet of ActivTrim
- Clean and chop all the ingredients.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth.
- Apples are low in calories, high in fiber, and very filling. Studies indicate that they may support weight loss.
- Avocados may help promote weight loss and weight maintenance. Studies have found that eating avocados can increase feelings of fullness, decrease appetite, and improve cholesterol levels.
- Cucumber has zero fat, and is very low in calories which can aid weight loss.
- ActivTrim has a combination of natural ingredients & bioactive compounds that can effectively help break down excessive fats in the body, increase metabolic levels and keep bowel movements regular.
ActivSol Vigo Gold
Nowadays, anti-ageing is merely about looking young on the outside, but it is about a longer lifespan, also known as longevity. Research found that the people in Okinawa live exceptionally long, healthy lives compared to the rest of the world’s population due to their unique diet and lifestyle. Many of the Okinawa diet’s benefits may be attributed to its rich supply of whole, nutrient-dense, high-antioxidant foods that protect the body against cellular damage. Here is a recipe inspired by the Okinawa diet.
Okinawa smoothie bowl
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup papaya
- 1 cup pineapple
- 1 cup dragon fruit
- ½ cup walnuts/almonds
- ½ cup greek yogurt
- ½ cup water
- 1 sachet Vigo Gold
- Chopped the fruits into cubes.
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender.
- Garnish with chopped fruits and nuts.
- Blueberries have the ability to lessen the severity of disease or to greatly diminish the chances of developing cancerous cells.
- Pineapple turns out to be one of the best anti-aging foods to support the heart, immune system, colon, and lungs.
- Almonds/walnuts are packed with omega-3 which will improve heart health and reduce risk of cognitive decline.
- Papaya contains an enzyme called papain which provides additional anti-aging benefits.
- ActivSol Vigo Gold comprises essential active ingredients which help to slow down the aging process. Nicotinamide Riboside, coupled with black cumin and grape seed extracts has strong anti-oxidative properties, able to repair damaged DNA and reverse signs of aging and chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s disease and vision loss.
Optimal nutrient intake prior to exercise will not only help you maximize your performance but also minimize muscle damage. Beetroot, turmeric and ginger have a positive effect on muscles and blood circulation. They aid to increase blood flow capacity and give the body much needed support to use oxygen more efficiently while exercising. With this increase in blood flow and oxygen, your body is capable of a more effective workout with increased performance and endurance, plus the added bonus of a healthy heart and cardiovascular system. These ingredients have shown to be very beneficial due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Athletes that wish to both increase their physical performance as well as speed up their recovery after a hard workout would do well to incorporate turmeric into their diet.
Power and endurance booster
- ½ cup diced beetroot
- ½ tablespoon of grated of peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 sachet of Gym.Plus
- 150ml lukewarm water
- Prepare all ingredients.
- Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth
- Beet juice has been shown to support stamina in endurance athletes. Beet juice promotes the efficiency of individual mitochondria, which in turn promotes blood and oxygen flow to muscles. Beet juice is packed with antioxidants, and the nitrates in beets naturally dilate arteries, which supports healthy blood flow.
- Ginger and turmeric delay muscle damage due to its pain-relieving chemicals gingerol, shogaol and zingerone which helps you to reduce muscle or joint pain.
- Gym.Plus provides instant energy and enhances strength and power, increases blood circulation and oxygen flow; delivers important nutrients to muscles, ensures electrolyte balance and prevents muscle cramps, enhances fat burning process by turning fat into energy, and enhances muscle recovery.
|Brenda Yeong Huai En|
|BSc (Hons) Nutrition|
|Product Development Specialist|
|One Green Solution Sdn Bhd|